woods

In the 2016-17 Ivy League preseason media poll, Penn basketball was tapped to finish fourth in the conference behind Princeton, Harvard and Yale.

Credit: Alex Fisher

Men’s basketball head coach Steve Donahue officially announced his six Class of 2020 recruits to the team recently to complete his roster for the 2016-17 season.

Or so we thought.

Donahue announced last week via a press release through Penn Athletics that one more addition has been made to the squad, in the form of a transfer student from Lassen Community College in northern California.

Caleb Woods, a Reno, Nev. native, is expected to slot straight into the squad’s playing rotation at the beginning of the season, after lighting up the competition in a standout 2015-16 year. Woods led Lassen with 23.2 points per game, and a remarkable 49.1 three-point shooting percentage. For reference, Steph Curry shot 45.4 percent from downtown this past NBA season.

Woods also contributed to his team beyond scoring, with 5.4 rebounds and 4.7 assists a game. His 6’4”, 180-pound frame allows him to impose himself inside the arc while still able to find space from range.

The transfer junior will have two years of eligibility for the Quakers, and if his transfer story goes anything like women’s basketball guard Kasey Chambers’, he can experience a love affair with the fans at the Palestra.

“I’m very excited that we are able to add Caleb to our program,” Donahue, who enters his second season in charge of the Quakers, said in a press release. “He is going to be a huge piece for us as we continue to build our program. He brings a tremendous skill set to our team with his ability to score off the dribble and his three-point shooting. Caleb played against some outstanding competition during his time at Lassen, and so he should be prepared to come in on Day One and be an immediate contributor to our program. Caleb’s final two years of eligibility will be very valuable to our program.”