_mg_0535

A high pressure system has caused unseasonably warm temperatures in the past week.

Credit: Julio Sosa

Winter is certainly in full swing on the calendar, but it doesn’t exactly feel that way when you take a walk down Locust. Since the start of the month, every day has been well above average with highs reaching 59, 53 and 62. If you’re wondering why it’s been so warm this last week or so after Winter Storm Jonas, blame this thing called the Southeast Ridge. 

The SE Ridge is a high pressure system that forms off the coast of the United States usually closer to Bermuda and pumps warmer air out ahead of it. This high pressure system has been sitting there almost everyday since Jonas departed and has lead to an extermination of our snow pack. The SE Ridge also allows for storm systems to cut across the Midwest rather than come up the coast and bring us copious amounts of snowfall. Just this past week, a major snowstorm affected parts of the Midwest, preventing some Iowa voters from reaching the caucuses. 

So, what does this have to do with weather back here?

Well, since that storm in the middle of the country — the same one that brought us rain yesterday — has since moved eastward, a cold front has ushered in cooler temperatures. In fact, the cold front is expected to stall just off the eastern United States and develop a wave of low pressure. What this does is allows for precipitation to creep back into our area in the form of snow and rain. 

Overnight, that low pressure system will come close enough to our area for us to see snow accumulate. Snow should start to fall around 3-4 a.m. and continue into the early morning commute before ending around 7-8 a.m. Although it won’t be a very long storm, the snow may fall heavily for a time leading to accumulation on roadways and sidewalks leading to slippery conditions for the morning commute.