febclub

This year, Feb Club is launching an app to streamline the overall experience of their daily events. | Courtesy of the Feb Club team

Class Board 2016 is making the most out of this year's extra day in February by hosting an event every single day of the month as part of the annual senior tradition Feb Club — all with the addition of a specialized app. 

This year marks the 20th anniversary of Feb Club, a month-long series of events exclusively for seniors that takes place all over Philadelphia and beyond. Events range from musical performances to trips to famous attractions as well as free giveaways and sporting events.

“It’s our last semester at Penn and we want everyone to take advantage of everything in this city and get out of the Penn bubble,” College senior and Class Board 2016 President Jesus Perez said.

This year, Class Board 2016 is also integrating innovation and technology into the Feb Club experience by launching a Feb Club app for both iOS and Android.

Engineering senior  Philip Del Vecchio developed the app to provide a straightforward, simple interface for students to have the calendar of events right at their fingertips.

The app tracks the number of events students attend via GPS check-in and each event has a certain number of points associated with it. Students can then redeem these points for prizes and giveaways.

The new app replaces past years’ physical Feb Club cards that students had to punch for every event attended and unites the class by providing a Leaderboard for seniors to see how they match up with their friends.

“It’s 2016 and we’re really excited for people to use technology to really own their experience,” Perez said.

This year’s Feb Club kicks off on Jan. 28 with “First Toast” at XFinity Live. The month-long series of events include a German beer garden, a Philadelphia 76ers game, a night at Philadelphia’s first observation deck at One Liberty Place and free bagels at Schmear it.

During the second week of February, seniors also get the opportunity to go to Atlantic City to enjoy the casinos and other amenities of the area. Seniors will be bused to the venue and will enjoy discounted rates that the Class Board have negotiated.

“We want this experience to be as accessible as possible for the whole class,” Perez said. “There was a high possibility that we could have gone to Mardi Gras as a class but that would have excluded a lot of students.”