amazon

The new Amazon store will open under Commons after months of construction, and provide a place for students to pick up and return packages from the online retailer.

Credit: Courtesy of Mike Seyfang | Creative Commons

Amazon is coming to Penn creating a new way to order everything from instant macaroni and cheese to graph paper. In the coming weeks, Amazon@Penn, a pickup location for the online retailer, will fill the hole of construction under 1920 Commons dining hall.

Penn students and faculty will now have the option to pickup and return Amazon packages from a centrally-located facility, alleviating congestion in dorm package rooms and giving off-campus residents a way to receive deliveries without worrying about theft.

Additionally, students and faculty will be able to use Amazon@Penn to activate a personalized “Penn shopping experience.” The store will offer Amazon Student and Prime members free same-day delivery on a variety of items shipped directly to the location in Commons on orders placed before noon and free one-day delivery for orders placed before 10 p.m.

The Amazon@Penn facility will also offer a “communal workspace.” Executive Director of Business Services at Penn, Doug Berger said this will, “help foster additional community” by providing students with, “a new place to work.” According to a press release published on Jan. 12, the workspace will have “interactive media pods where students can connect their laptops and mobile devices to TV monitors for presentations, brainstorming, studying and collaborating.”

“We are really excited about bringing Amazon services to Penn and we hope students will take advantage of the communal work space,” Berger said.

As Amazon shipments account for over 50 percent of all deliveries to students at Penn, Amazon@Penn may be able to revolutionize how students shop.