graduation
Credit: Courtesy of University of Pennsylvania

At the 259th Commencement Ceremony at Franklin Field, United States Permanent Representative to the United Nations Samantha Power warned the Class of 2015 about international problems — and provided tangible ways to solve them.

“The world outside Penn’s walls leaves a lot to be desired. That is diplomatic speak for things are really screwed up,” Power said. “But there are four ways that — no matter the field or the profession, the country or the scale — you can improve your odds of making a tangible difference in a world that needs you.”

Power used real-world examples from past and present to encourage graduates to “act as if,” “know something about something,” “bring others along” and “humanize your cause.” She illustrated her points by discussing topics that ranged from Boko Haram extremist violence and Ebola outbreaks to Benjamin Franklin’s hat choice.

Although Power emphasized the many world problems that confront today’s graduates, she also took time to remind them of the progress that has already been made — including a decrease in world poverty and growing support of LGBT rights.

“Amidst all the darkness of the world, it can be easy to lose sight of all the bright spots. But look around you: they are all around you,” she said.

College graduate Robert Golden reflected positively on Power’s message. “I thought she was a really impressive, incredible person who has managed to make all the things she’s done and experienced really relatable, which I think is a huge challenge in a graduation speech,” he said. “I really enjoyed it.”

Arthur K. Asbury, Lee C. Bollinger, Joan Myers Brown, Rita Moreno, Ellen Ochoa and Cass R. Sunstein received honorary Penn degrees at the ceremony along with Power.

Penn President Amy Gutmann echoed Power’s sentiments in her own speech, challenging graduates to embrace the concept of “crossing borders and leaping boundaries.”

Gutmann emphasized that Penn’s mission of global engagement is embodied by the work that Penn students do. “When I talk about bringing the world to Penn and Penn to the world, I’m describing something infinitely more profound than time zone differences and jet plane travel. I’m imagining the future. And I’m talking about you,” Gutmann said.

Gutmann’s speech included a video that highlighted the diverse global backgrounds of Penn students, then morphed into a special Penn version of the Game of Thrones theme, complete with a zooming view of pop-up campus landmarks accompanied by the famous theme song.

Gutmann explained that some aspects of the world of Game of Thrones are similar to our own world — specifically, struggles with international politics, violence and borders. “Despite the magic and giants, the white walkers and dragons, we all can identify something real in Westeros,” she said.

But, she said, Penn graduates have the power and knowledge to face these problems: “Today each of you crosses a very special border – between your years as a student and your worldly achievements yet to come,” she said.

“The unexpected awaits you.”