img_5800

Thai Singha House recently reopened on 39th and Chestnut.

Credit: Irina Bit-Babik

Pad thai, spring rolls and chicken curry are now closer to campus.  

At the end of January, the Thai Singha House re-opened on 39th and Chestnut streets. Originally, the Thai BYO restaurant was on 40th and Chestnut streets, but in the summer of 2013 it closed down in order to make way for Hub II, the Hub’s sister apartment building.

“Hub II helped us find this new space, and it is even better,” Thai Singha owner Thomas Gamble said.  

The new location is in the Chestnut Hall Building. Gamble said this building is approximately 85 percent Asian, which gives the restauranta lot of business. In addition, the new spot is a lot closer to Penn’s four high rises and the Radian.

“We are closer to the students, and for the past three nights we have had a full house,” Gamble said.

He added that in particular, the $10.95 early bird special has been very popular lately. This three-course meal is offered Sunday through Thursday between 5:00 and 6:30 p.m. and includes a soup, appetizer and entrée.

The menu is generally the same as it was at the previous location. Famous dishes include Pad thai specialties such as ”Fire Game Hen” and “Spicy Shellfish.” There are also wide varieties of duck, lamb, seafood, chicken and vegetarian options available.

Thai Singha is open everyday. Lunch hours each day are from 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. and dinner hours are from 5 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. Sundays through Thursdays, and are extended from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. Friday and Saturdays.

By the end of the month, a coffee and pastry shop could potentially be opening right next to Thai Singha, Gamble added. Together, these eateries can change the game for many hungry Penn students living nearby.