iqbal

Senior Alex Iqbal scored a memorable goal in her final home game in the Red and Blue.

What a way to go out.

On Senior Day, the Quakers (8-7, 3-3 Ivy) took their seniors out on top, outlasting Brown, 2-1, on a cold and rainy Saturday afternoon on Ellen Vagelos field.

The game was exciting from the start, with both teams scoring in the first five minutes of the first period. Junior Elizabeth Hitti talking the first goal, driving the ball into the right corner of the cage.

Senior Alex Iqbal scored the next goal halfway through the first period on a penalty corner. Iqbal has scored six goals thus far this season but, with this one coming on Senior Day, this goal is bound to be one of her most memorable.

Sophomore Lucy Green scored Brown’s only goal - with the assist coming from junior Emily Arciero - off of a penalty corner. Despite this goal, Penn’s solid defensive presence would not allow the Bears (9-6, 1-5) to convert any more corners.

Senior Allison Wiesenfels had a great game, with a career record 15 saves on the day. Weisenfels has performed exceptionally well this season, putting up a goals against average of 2.30.

“[Weisenfels] proved hugely valueable today," coach Colleen Fink said. " She is a selfless kid. She had a couple of 1 versus 1 situations where she had to come out and challenge and play defensively and I think she executed it perfectly.

“I think the biggest thing that I saw in her play was she just seemed very composed. There was no panic or urgency in her play. From a defensive standpoint, that’s exactly what you want to see from a keeper.”

Fink noted that the weather did have an effect on the Quakers’ game. However, one of the most important elements of the Red and Blue's play is their resilience and tenacity, and they proved this during the game.

“I would love to say it didn’t impact it at all, but I think it did," Fink said. "The rain changes your skill, your vision, and even just the quality of play. But I think that they hung tough despite the elements.”

The Quakers look towards their next game against Rutgers tomorrow, and to their next and final Ivy game against Princeton next week.

Fink, for one, is confident in the team's prospects. 

“We will bring a combination of the skill that I know this team is capable of partnered with the resilience and toughness we saw today."