Penn students aspiring to save the planet may want to consider working in the private sector at one of America’s most innovative corporations — Apple.

On Friday afternoon Vice President of Environmental Initiatives at Apple Lisa Jackson came to Penn to offer a first-hand discussion of how Apple is pushing the boundaries of possibility in technology to become a worldwide leader in corporate sustainability.

Jackson was head of the Environmental Protection Agency under President Obama from 2009 to 2013. However, for her, moving from Washington to Cupertino was not a step down .

“I went from being an environmental leader for our country to being an environmental leader for our country,” Jackson said, emphasizing that her post at Apple allows her to exercise just as much influence as her federal agency position did. “I knew that Apple would expect the same level of leadership and innovation that I treasured in my [government] career.”

Jackson spoke about Apple’s environmental responsibility initiative, a three-tiered approach to leadership that includes clean energy, green materials and the conservation of resources. Some of Apple’s most significant environmental achievements include converting their four data processing centers to run on 100 percent renewable energy, increasing its facilities' use of renewable energy by 60 percent from 2010 to 2014 and its promise to responsibly recycle all used Apple products.

“Apple is going beyond the boundaries of what’s required to challenge the boundaries of what’s possible,” Jackson said, adding that Apple’s computers run eight times more efficiently than the Energy Star standards recommend.

Environmental sustainability director at Penn Dan Garofalo drew a comparison between Apple’s environmental initiative and Penn’s Climate Action Plan 2.0.

“One of the most important things for Apple and for Penn is senior leadership," Garofalo said. "Amy Gutmann has taken a role like that of Tim Cook, and Steve Jobs before him, in taking initiative on environmental issues."

Jackson’s message resonated with many students, who were surprised to learn that Apple places such a high priority on sustainability.

“[After hearing Jackson] I would be more likely to tell my friends about the products I have and what Apple is doing,” said Engineering freshman and Ware College House Eco-Rep Grant Shao .

Jackson said that government influence is shrinking and that corporations need to step up their dedications to the environment . Her message to students was that helping the environment is not only compatible with private innovation, but also that the private sector is increasingly leading the way in environmental sustainability.

“If someone says you have to choose between working in the private sector and having an impact, challenge that,” Jackson said in a personal interview. “You don’t have to work at Green Peace to make a difference.”