10042014_sprintfootballvsn_copy
Sprint Football vs Navy Loss 21-19 Credit: Marcus Katz , Marcus Katz

Every season, Army and Navy tend to be the two strongest contenders in sprint football. And as such, those games hold special importance to Penn sprint football each year.

With one of those games already in the bag — a 21-19 loss against Navy — and a season finale against perennial bottom-feeder Princeton on the horizon, that leaves this weekend as the last serious challenge for the Quakers, as they face Army.

The Red and Blue (3-2) are coming off of a rough 28-21 loss to Post last weekend that saw senior captain and running back Mike Beamish go down with an injury. Meanwhile, the Black Knights (5-0) sit in a tie with fellow-undefeated Navy atop the CSFL after winning last weekend due to a forfeit by Princeton.

Saturday’s game will be Senior Night for the Quakers, as they play their final home game of the season. Penn will send off seven players, including Beamish and Keith Braccia , who earned honorable mention All-CSFL honors last year at receiver and defensive back.

Across the field from Penn will be the most potent offense in the CSFL this season. In its four games, Army has averaged a league-high 38.8 points and 431.8 yards per game. Senior quarterback J.J. Wartski and junior receiver Tucker Van Dyke have proven themselves to be an unstoppable combination, connecting on six touchdowns thus far.

Penn, possibly playing without leading rusher Beamish, will also have to contend against a strong Army defense that has held teams to just 250 yards per game. Sophomore quarterback Mike McCurdy will have more responsibility on his shoulders with a running game much less likely to be effective.

After facing Army, Penn will travel to face Princeton in its season finale.