03122013_mbballvsprinceton_copy
Mens bball vs. princeton Credit: Carolyn Lim , Carolyn Lim

Some of these old Quakers have still got it.

In a nail-biter that featured some fancy passing, solid shooting and even a couple dunks, the Red team took down the Blue team in the 2014 Men's Hoops Alumni Game, notching a 31-30 victory.

Ugonna Onyekwe ('03) was strong for the Blue team, showing off an impressive shooting stroke, grabbing more than his fair share rebounds and slamming down a powerful dunk on a putback. However, it was not enough to lead his squad to a win.

"It was a little closer than last year — last year we kinda got blown out," Onyekwe said. "But I'm now 0-3 in alumni games, so I'm obviously doing something wrong."

Penn coach and alumnus Jerome Allen ('95), the last Ivy League player to be drafted into the NBA , was the headliner for the Red team, taking a break from his usual coaching duties to get some floor time himself.

Allen started off quietly, but made a phenomenal pass along the baseline to spark a run for his team and scored on a breakaway layup to give the Red team its first lead with six minutes to go. Some wondered after the game why Allen didn't dunk on his fastbreak chance.

"I got fouled," Allen said.

When reminded that the layup occurred on a fastbreak with no defender within reach of him, the coach commented, "You didn't see the guy foul me? He was invisible, then. Father Time. Father Time fouled me."

Onyekwe, who showed no signs of age during the contest, was skeptical of Allen's remaining vertical capabilities.

"Jerome? On a good day, maybe," he said. "He might be able to dunk ... on a good day."

The Blue team fought back, but a missed halfcourt heave as time expired sealed its fate, and the Red team walked away winners. Onyekwe, one of just five men (Allen is another) to win Ivy League Player of the Year twice, enjoyed the reunion despite the loss.

"It's been great to catch up with old friends, old teammates and just to run up and down the Palestra again," he said.

Allen praised the event as well, specifically focusing on how the annual game honors the rich tradition of Penn basketball.

"We've got representation from every generation here," Allen said, taking a page out of Walt Frazier's book.

"It shows how important this basketball program is to so many people. It's all about the fraternity, the friendship, the shared experience that we have playing here at Penn. It's all fun, it's always a good time."

Of course, with the real season right around the corner, things are about to get much more serious for Allen and the rest of Penn's basketball program.