31572_12062012womensswimmingvcolumbiazoe043bwf

The Ivy Championships brought quite a bit of success for Penn senior Shelby Fortin. One of the program’s most decorated swimmers, Fortin helped guide the Quakers to a fifth-place team finish and managed a second-place finish in the 500 freestyle.

Over the course of a weekend of racing, the Penn women’schanged from "woman's" to "women's" swimming and diving team put together an impressive string of results against the rest of the Ancient Eight at the Ivy League Championships.

Competing at Brown’s Katherine Moran Coleman Aquaticschanged from "Aquatic" to "Aquatics" Center, the Quakers finished fifth overall in the team standings with 882 points, the team’s best finish since the 2010-11 season.

The highlight of the weekend for Penn was when senior Shelby Fortin broke both the meet and pool record for the Championships in the woman’s 200 yard freestyle.

Fortin’s time of 1:45.69 also put her under the mark for the NCAA B Finalsunnecessary comma and now provides her with the possibility of racing at nationals. This was the third time Fortin won the event in her four years as a Quaker.

Among Fortin’s other impressive results this weekend was a second-place finish in the 500 freestyle in 4:44.12, where she broke the pool record in Thursday’s preliminaries race. The veteran notched another second-place finish in the 100 free. Fortin could make the B cut for the NCAA finals in both the 500 and 100 free.

“Shelby has been one of our top performers since she walked in the door four years ago,” coach Mike Schnur said. “She simply exceeded everyone’s expectations and has overcome a ton of obstacles in her four years, and she just blew the other girls out of the water this weekend.”

Several other members of the Red and Blue also had standout individual performances.

Freshman Rochelle Dong placed fourth in the woman’s 50 free with a time of 23.01. Dong also placed fifth in the 100 butterfly, and her time qualified her for the B side of the NCAA finals.

Sophomore Lauren Church took home a fourth place finish in the 100 yard backstroke event, and her time of 54.57 scored 26 points for her squad. While Church’s time in the 100 backstroke put her below the NCAA mark, the sophomore also could qualify in the 200 back for the NCAAs.

Junior Taylor Sneed finished third for Penn in the 200 butterfly, and her time of 1:59.51 also gained her qualification for NCAAs.

Haley Wickham later became the fifth Penn swimmer to qualify for the NCAA Championships, as the freshman placed fifth overall in the 100 backstroke.

Penn capped off the meet in style on Saturday night, as the Quakers raced to a second-place finish in the meet’s last event, the 400 freestyle relay. Church, Dong, Fortin and Hurley’s combined time of 3:21.52 marked the best relay event for Penn of the weekend.

“I think we just had an outstanding performance,” Schnur said. “We had so many girls make an A or B final, and to have every single one of your swimmers score points and contribute to the team is just fantastic."