ryanonline

Ryan Daniels
Daniels, Straight Up

Credit: Amanda Suarez , Ryan Daniels

Now in my seventh semester at Penn, I’ve begun to notice a strange pattern in some of my classes. By around mid-October, in-class conversations that draw from out-of-class reading assignments dwindle. Students, once eager to contribute, stop raising their hands and voices — they check out.

After talking to a few peers, I found that when classes first begin, students revert back to their long-refined study habits: scrutinizing readings, highlighting key terms and jotting down overarching ideas. They come to class with a firm grasp of the content, as prepared as they could be. But after a few classes, they slowly garner an impression that this is a waste of time.

They get this impression because classes only infrequently test their knowledge of assigned readings. They receive a “participation grade” for discussing the readings each class, but this is precluded by a stifling caveat: Shy students who speak less get graded accordingly. Students who don’t read can pose as shy ones who do.

Students reevaluate their time spent preparing for class. They determine that the benefits of preparing might not outweigh the costs — apologies to those “learners for the sake of learning.” They know that a key to academic success isn’t doing everything assigned, but instead determining what actually needs to get done — just ask the Weingarten Learning Resources Center.

So in a recent lecture, where class-directed question after class-directed question went unanswered, floating over the turned-down heads of slouching students, I couldn’t help but wonder: What ever happened to cold-calling?

The age-old practice of directing questions at specific students — rather than waiting for a volunteer — would solve the problematic pattern detailed above. Unfortunately, in my experience at Penn, most teachers have opted against it. In order to make the classroom more engaging and educational, professors should bring it back.

You might be hesitant, imagining a terrifying law school lecture hall, where a professor fires excruciating conundrums at her students, picking on the ones who don’t have answers (perhaps Reese Witherspoon is in there somewhere). Or you’re picturing an instructor trying to embarrass students caught not paying attention. But these are examples of cold-calling being abused.

These practices would discourage a productive learning atmosphere more than anything.

Cold-calling, when utilized properly, is forgiving and relaxed, where the instructor calls on students — truly at random — with ample warning. This keeps pupils on the edge of their seats rather than hidden behind the seat in front of them, eager but at ease.

Every student would come to class prepared and keep up with conversations. They’ll craft answers to questions even if they don’t speak, and eventually conversations could carry on without any cold calls or guidance — all that’s needed is the assurance that questioning can be resumed if students stop talking.

Research actually confirms that in classes with high rates of cold-calling, more students volunteer to answer more questions, and pupils report increased comfort levels.

So, what do some professors have to say?

Penn philosophy, politics and economics professor Jan Willem Lindemans told me that he opts against cold-calling for a few reasons, including encouraging more organic discussions, already grading participation and feeling that the “one to answer spontaneously is the one who is most likely to have a good answer.”

But as noted, this isn’t conducive to engaging all students and best promoting participation. Lindemans did concede that he doesn’t have “good information on the costs and benefits of cold-calling.”

On the other hand, Penn political science professor Ellen Kennedy — one of my only lecturers who did cold call — has learned that the practice is most beneficial with larger class sizes where it can be hard to get across to each student. She made clear that “it’s never meant to embarrass anyone.”

Instructors should utilize cold-calling in their classes — especially considering that voluntary discussion and engaged students are a goal of all classes.

Of all the skills we learn at Penn, few can be more important to our success than constant preparation. Cold-calling will train us to stay on our toes and ensure that we learn everything Penn has to offer in the meantime.

Ryan Daniels is a College senior from Philadelphia. Email him at ryanjdaniels1@gmail.com. “Daniels, Straight Up” appears every Wednesday.