recruitment

Last week, an expansion team from the new sorority Alpha Delta Pi came to Penn to start advertising students.

Alpha Delta Pi sorority will be colonizing at Penn for the first time this spring.

An expansion team led by ADPi leadership consultant Katie Schaller was on campus last week for the first time to begin its marketing push. “We want to get the word out about who we are and to let people know that we’re coming,” Schaller said.

The team spent time getting to know different sorority women and advisers to “start building a relationship and getting to know Penn,” Schaller said.

The recruitment process for ADPi will officially begin in January following formal recruitment for the Panhellenic Council. National recruiters will return to Penn at the beginning of the new semester for further marketing and advertising efforts.

When recruiters return in January, there will be two main events: an information night and a philanthropy night. At the information night, the international president of the sorority, Tammie Pinkston, will speak on behalf of the international organization. The philanthropy night will host a representative from Ronald McDonald House Charities, the sorority’s major community service commitment.

Throughout the rest of that week, recruiters will hold several sessions to give women on campus an opportunity to learn more about the sorority and share their interest with members of the expansion team. The bid day will take place at the end of the week.

Related: Penn sorority life expands with Alpha Delta Pi

“We want women who are involved and well-rounded. We want our experience to contribute to their experience here at Penn,” Schaller said.

The colonization period will begin as soon as the sorority has new members, and it will be officially recognized as a chapter once installed. The installation will take place on the first weekend in April and the founding members will be initiated into the sorority.

This will be followed by an installation banquet for friends, family, the Panhellenic council and Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life staff members.

Related: Alpha Delta Pi to begin recruitment in January

Although the sorority will not be officially recognized until April, it will participate in Panhellenic activities as soon as it establishes a colony. Schaller said the sorority hopes to be a similar size to most chapters on campus after spring recruitment, which means recruiting about four times as many members as most sororities.

ADPi participated in the open house events that took place this weekend. Because ADPi does not yet have a chapter house, its event was hosted at the Sigma Kappa house.