pmweddingcouplesphinxbw
Credit: Sofia Negron Photography , Sofia Negron Photography

While the price of weddings has been skyrocketing in recent years, a new initiative by Penn’s Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology now offers a low-cost option for couples wishing to tie the knot.

In August, the Penn Museum launched the idea of “WEDDINGS, SIMPLE and SWEET” — a “simple ceremony in a world-renown museum, all for a very low price,” according to the press release.

For $350, brides and grooms can book their wedding at the museum for any time between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Thursday. Ceremonies may last up to 45 minutes, and couples can invite up to 25 guests.

Related: Tying the knot on campus

“I wanted to have an option for people who wanted to have a nice and affordable wedding,” said Penn Museum’s Director of Facility Rentals Atiya German, who conceived this idea.

Couples may choose from a wide selection of museum exhibits at which to host the ceremony, from the Egyptian Sphinx gallery to the Mosaic Gallery, which features ancient Roman mosaics and views of illustrious inner gardens.

Related: Penn Museum completes phase two of renovations

This type of ceremony would be a “great way to impress your friends,” German said, as it lets you “have an inexpensive ceremony, and people will think that you’re spending a lot of money.”

Friday and Saturday full-length weddings at the museum cost $4,500 to simply rent the Museum’s space.

However, German said that “WEDDINGS, SIMPLE and SWEET” could serve as an alternate option for a justice of the peace ceremony, adding that it would be perfect for vow renewals as well.

Related: Penn Museum partners with pig farm to dispose waste

She noted that both before and after the wedding, couples are invited to take pictures in the museum’s galleries. Additionally, each couple receives a one-year dual membership to the museum with their reservation.

Currently, no couples have made reservations for this type of ceremony, although there has been one potential bride who was searching for further information about the venue.