Harrison College House’s water was shut off for several hours Wednesday.

According to Facilities and Real Estate Services, the water line was shut down because of “an emergent need to repair the system.

The shutdown originally began at 9 a.m. and was scheduled to continue until 7 p.m., although as of 4 p.m. Wednesday, the water service was restored according to FRES. They also said the shutdown was chosen to take place today in order to minimize inconveniences to residents, as many have yet to move in.

Ken Ogawa, FRES executive director of operations and maintenance, explained in an email that “there have been occasional … complaints over the past few months by those who did not have hot water in the building due to some circulation issues,” he said.

He said that the building underwent an engineering study in the past and that “after further review of the situation, we have detected these repairs … need to be made now,” he added.

Water service in Harrison has appeared to be a problem for some time now. The last water repair shutdown of the 2012-2013 academic year happened in March with water being unavailable to any residents above the sixth or seventh floor. An editorial appearing in The Daily Pennsylvanian from 2004 pointed out many of the same flaws that exist today, including one saying, “too often, the water is turned off altogether.”

Harrison residents are no stranger to the shutoff alerts either. Last academic year, water services were shut off at least four separate times, according to emails sent to residents. However, this is not unique to Harrison — Harnwell and Rodin college houses each had at least five shutdowns in the same time period.

“It was really annoying,” said Srikar Rebby, a College and Wharton junior who lived in Harrison last year. “You couldn’t shower in the morning, or at any convenient time. It definitely happened more than a few times.”

For each of the Harrison repairs, the only reason given to residents was that they were “necessary” or due to an “emergency.”

Wednesday’s water shutoff, though inconvenient, affects only a small part of the over 800 residents it usually houses during the year. Allison Higgins, an Engineering sophomore and current Harrison resident, pointed out, “At least it’s before most people moved in.”