A former employee is suing the University of Pennsylvania Health System for allegedly discriminating against her on the basis of disability, according to a lawsuit filed in federal court last Friday.

The complaint claims that the plaintiff, Laura Smith, “has been discriminated against and harassed on the basis of her disability” and “was subjected to retaliation for seeking accommodation, using [disability] leave and complaining about discrimination.”

“We intend to vigorously defend our actions,” UPHS spokesperson Susan Phillips said, but added that she could not comment on the specifics of personnel matters.

Related: Employee sues Penn due to employment discrimination

The complaint further asserts that UPHS made “intentional and willful” violations of the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Pennsylvania Human Relations Act, both of which outlaw discrimination on the basis of disability.

Smith, who was hired as a patient service representative in 2005, made Penn aware of her disability — the details of which are not specified in the complaint — in 2009 after having surgery, according to the lawsuit.

Around April 2011, the plaintiff attempted to get aid from Penn, but the lawsuit alleges that Penn refused to conduct “a workstation ergonomic evaluation” that was ordered by her doctor.

The complaint further alleges that, between June and October of 2011, Smith was written up for poor performance three times, which eventually led to her firing in February 2012. The complaint claims that the poor performance was caused by pain, numbness and tingling caused by her disability.

Among the compensation sought by Smith are lost wages, punitive damages and attorneys’ fees.