The University treats an allegation of rape (or any other form of sexual violence) with extreme seriousness. The University staff who deal with these situations are not only deeply and personally committed to student safety, but also well-trained and experienced in handling these events. The suggestion in the recent Daily Pennsylvanian op-ed that Office of Student Conduct staff have no training in sexual assault is simply untrue.

In the particular case cited in the commentary, the facts around it were examined extensively, handled appropriately and executed in compliance with law and University policy.

At Penn, we continually strive to find the best ways to keep students safe and to supportively and caringly deal with any problems that students might encounter. As part of that commitment, this winter the University launched a new Commission on Student Safety, Alcohol and Campus Life, designed to ensure that Penn utilizes best practices in every area of student safety, with a primary focus on preventing sexual assault, as well as incidents that arise from excessive alcohol consumption or drug use. Our first commitment is to the safety of our students. That has always been the case at Penn, and always will be.

Stephen J. MacCarthy is the Vice President for University Communications.