01272008_housingguide0094
pictures of quad at night for 2008 housing guide. Credit: Priscilla des Gachons , Priscilla des Gachons, Courtesy of Creative Commons

In what students are denouncing as a “violation of [their] First Amendment rights,” the Division of Public Safety and the Office of Alcohol and Other Drug Program Initiatives announced Tuesday that they will be implementing a random Breathalyzer test for students entering and already inside of the Quad during this year’s Spring Fling.

This initiative comes right after the announcement that AlliedBarton guards will be posted around Quad entrances to prevent nonresidents from entering Quad buildings.

The measure is intended to reduce the number of alcohol related incidents at Fling, according to Vice President for Public Safety Maureen Rush. It comes after months of discussion with administrators.

“We feel that use of the Breathalyzer tests will allow us to better ensure the safety of students while not infringing upon their Fling experience,” Rush said.

Last year, 45 students were hospitalized during Fling as compared to only 28 the year before. The proposed policy is intended to “lessen the chance of something bad happening when underage students experiment with alcohol,” according to Rush.

Security guards posted around the Quad will administer the random Breathalyzer tests. Students under the age of 21 who are found to have higher than a 0.10 blood alcohol content will be subject to having their room searched for alcohol and subject to further disciplinary action. Those over the legal age will be removed from the Quad.

This news comes as a shock to students.

“I’m happy to see that the administration is addressing the issues that are getting in the way of my studies,” Engineering senior and Ware resident Dougan Moore said.

“The last thing I need is a bunch of drunk freshman running around the Quad while I’m trying to work on my final papers,” he added. “This is an institution of higher education — not a brothel — and I’m happy someone has decided to treat it with the respect it deserves.”

However, there are those who voice disagreement with Moore’s opinion.

“This policy sucks,” a Wharton and Engineering junior, who wished not to be named due to the nature of the policy, said. “I go out drinking every other day of the week, so why should Fling weekend be any different?”

“I just bought my fake and I am so pissed right now,” a College freshman, who wished to remain anonymous due to legal implications, said. “What I am supposed to do — go to Fling sober?”

A Wharton junior and Ware resident advisor who did not want to be named because of his position in the house has mixed emotions about the proposal.

“As an RA, my job will be so much easier now that I don’t have to deal with all the puke in my hall,” he said. “But as a student, I’m like ‘damn, now I can’t get ratchet with my bros.’”

But the Breathalyzer test itself remains the primary issue for some.

“I don’t care about other policies that they want to implement because they completely have the right to do those,” College junior Abraham Lin-Cohen said. “But a Breathalyzer test, no way. I interned for the ACLU last summer and I can tell you that this is a complete violation of my First Amendment rights.”

“This is ridiculous — I cannot believe all the restrictions here,” Nursing freshman Pete Loubache said. “That’s it — I’m transferring to Penn State.”

_This article appeared in the Daily Pennsylvanian’s Joke Issue 2013. For more information, click here