03212013_whoopsvhoward_adierkes183
WHoopsvHoward Credit: Andrew Dierkes , Andrew Dierkes

In the end, it was too little, too late for the Penn women’s basketball team.

The Quakers were unable to overcome a double-digit second-half deficit at Detroit on Wednesday night and fell, 71-68, in the semifinals of the Women’s Basketball Invitational (WBI).

Playing in their third postseason game in six days, the Red and Blue (18-13) showed no signs of fatigue early on against the Titans (20-13).

After the two teams traded baskets early, the Quakers used an 11-5 run to open up their largest lead of the game.

Trailing by six, Detroit responded with a quick 10-0 run to secure a 24-20 lead. The spurt included back-to-back three-pointers from senior guard Demeisha Fambro, as well as two driving layups from sophomore forward Shareta Brown.

“We knew it was going to be difficult inside,” McLaughlin said. “They have two very good post players that posed some trouble for us and we knew it would be a challenge.”

Still, it looked as if the Quakers would end the period with a slim lead after Penn senior guard Brianna Bradford nailed a three with 32 seconds remaining before halftime.

But Brown, who scored a game-high 32 points, beat the buzzer with a three of her own, giving Detroit a 35-34 lead at the break.

Detroit began the second half on an 11-2 run and with the Titans leading 48-37 with 11:37 to play, Brown was fouled on a layup. She made the free throw to complete the three-point play and the 14-point cushion was the largest lead of the night for Detroit.

With 6:53 to play and Penn still trailing by 14, it appeared as if Detroit was well on its way to the WBI finals.

But the Red and Blue finally came alive, using their speed and defensive awareness to force 17 turnovers and keep the game close.

“In the last 10 minutes we started trapping them in the backcourt, and I think forcing those turnovers really helped us get back into the game,” McLaughlin said.

Led by freshman guard Keiera Ray, Penn inched within two points after junior guard Alyssa Baron scored with six seconds left.

After Fambro split a pair of free throws for the Titans, Penn had one last chance. But a three-point attempt at the buzzer by Ray rattled off the rim and sent the Red and Blue home.

“We battled in the end, and even though we got down big at one point, we never let up and we got it down to the last possession,” McLaughlin said. “We were down three, had the ball at the end with a chance to score, and just came up a little short.”

After the game, McLaughlin and his players took a moment to reflect on what the team’s seniors, Bradford and Katie Davis, accomplished this season.

“They improved so much throughout this year, put us in a great position and inspired me with their fight and their commitment,” he said.

“I am just really proud of what they did to represent themselves, to represent this team and to represent Penn.”

Penn women’s basketball preps for WBI semifinals

Last-second three-pointer catapults Penn women’s basketball past Fairfield