02272013_kermitgosnellabortionclinicnickmoncy0017
Kermit Gosnell Abortion Clinic Credit: nick moncy , Nick_Moncy

The murder trial of a doctor who operated an abortion clinic less than a mile from the center of campus begins jury selection on March 4.

Kermit Gosnell, who is accused of running a late-term abortion clinic on 38th Street and Lancaster Avenue called the “Women’s Medical Society,” is charged with eight counts of murder, among other allegations of conspiracy and criminal solicitation — the act of seeking to engage another person to commit a crime — according to the case docket.

Seven of the murder counts against Gosnell are in the matter of the seven babies he is alleged to have killed post-delivery, either through his own actions or through those of the people with whom he worked.

The other count of murder Gosnell is charged with is for the death of Karnamaya Mongar, one of his patients.

The Grand Jury Report issued on Jan. 14, 2011 found that Mongar was killed by “repeated injections of strong narcotics, administered in accordance with Gosnell’s standard procedures.”

According to court documents, Gosnell faces a total of 47 charges.

Nine others were charged with crimes in relation to those Gosnell is alleged to have committed. Among the others charged included Gosnell’s wife, Pearl Gosnell.

Pearl Gosnell pleaded guilty on Dec. 13, 2011, to four criminal counts, including abortion on an unborn child of 24 weeks or more. She has not yet been sentenced for these crimes.

In a 2011 press release, Philadelphia District Attorney Seth Williams said that he knows abortion is a “hot-button topic” but that it is his job to enforce the law.

“A doctor who cuts into the necks, severing the spinal cords, of living, breathing babies who would survive with proper medical attention is committing murder under the law,” he said.

The DA’s Office declined to comment further on Gosnell’s trial as the office is under a gag order not to speak about the case. Gosnell’s attorney has not yet responded to a request for a comment.