02072013_blarneyamanda0046
blarney Credit: Amanda Suarez , Amanda Suarez

The Blarney Stone failed its ID compliance check and is the subject of an ongoing investigation.

The Irish-themed bar on 39th and Sansom streets did not successfully pass the compliance test last week from the Bureau of Liquor Control Enforcement, a branch of the Pennsylvania State Police.

Sergeant Dan Steele of the Philadelphia office of the BLCE, confirmed that a compliance check took place on Jan. 31 after an anonymous tip stated that Blarney Stone was serving underage customers.

Kevin Kearney, the owner of Blarney Stone, said that he personally served a 20-year-old sent from the BLCE a glass of beer without asking for identification, thinking he was above 21.

“I did not pass the compliance check,” Kearney said. “I most likely will get a fine and a citation, and that will be that.”

He said that not long after serving the beer to the underage customer, a BLCE officer came in, shook his hand and told him to “be more careful” in regards to serving underage customers.

Steele said that the investigation is ongoing. “A liquor enforcement officer is conducting an investigation,” he said. Once that is complete, “all information will be sent to [the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board] for further action.”

A Wharton and College sophomore who wished to remain anonymous due to legal implications said that Blarney Stone always asks for some form of identification, but accepts his fake ID.

A College freshman who also wished to remain anonymous said that the failed compliance check will cause him to stop going to the bar for some time.

The student, who goes “about once a week” and said that the bar accepts his fake ID, said, “I’ll probably lay low from Blarney for a while.”

A College sophomore who wished to remain anonymous and said he has gone to Blarney “once or twice” agreed with the other two students that Blarney always asks for identification.

However, a College freshman who wished to remain anonymous said that he was served at Blarney Stone two of the three times he went last semester without being asked for identification.

“I love Blarney. The bartender was fantastic,” the student said.

However, he said the recent compliance test failure diminishes the likelihood he will return to Blarney Stone. “I’m going to be less likely to go considering the possible legal issues.”