Taxes and tiaras are hardly a common combination — unless you’re a dollar diva.

On Friday, Wharton Women staged its 10th annual Dollar Diva conference, where approximately 150 girls from eight Philadelphia high schools packed the Bodek Lounge in Houston Hall. There they learned about financial and career planning, and competed to be crowned the Dollar Diva.

“Each year we kind of work with the same principles of educating the girls with financial literacy,” said Wharton junior Maxine Winston, Wharton Women’s vice president of philanthropy.

This year’s theme was “classy ladies,” which meant that the room was decorated with tiaras, purple tablecloths and pink feather boas.

The theme, however, applied to more than just decorations. Logistics Chair and Wharton sophomore Michelle Federman — a former Daily Pennsylvanian staff member — commented that the “classy ladies” theme was in line with providing positive role models for the high school girls.

The day began with presentations and interactive activities on banking and budgeting, which were particularly eye-opening for the students.

Anquaneisha, a high school junior, remarked how she didn’t know how taxes worked before attending the conference.

The conference continued with a student panel on college life and a presentation on financial aid by Penn financial services officer Catherine Monsky.

For Winston, the conference was not only about educating the students but also encouraging Wharton Women to become more involved with the community.

“For me personally, my main goal this year was to get Wharton Women members more involved with their philanthropic endeavors. There’s a big difference between fundraising money and donating time.”

Along the way, students earned dollars by participating in activities and discussions. As they were all eagerly aware, students with the most dollars at the end of the conference would be crowned the Dollar Diva.

The final and most highly anticipated segment was the presentation on dressing for interviews. Hands flew into the air as Winston tested the participants’ knowledge on business-formal and business-casual outfits.

Many fashion-savvy students expressed concerned that they couldn’t be both stylish and professional. For example, one potential dollar diva asked, “If you already have a vibrant hair color, what do you do?”

The panel responded that the girls could still incorporate pops of color and express themselves through their outfits as long as it looks office-appropriate.

Many students took notes on appropriate outfits. “I’d probably wear some casual pants, casual heels, a button down shirt and a blazer,” high school junior Diamond said.

At the end of the conference, the Dollar Divas were crowned and posed with each other to a remix of Katy Perry’s “Teenage Dream.”

“This is a great opportunity and it’s my first experience here. Hopefully I’ll be here next year,” added Diamond, now a newly crowned Dollar Diva.