03232012dpdctrip0023

Less than 10 members of Students Reacting Strongly to Lots of Yelling (SRSLY) held hands on College Green yesterday to show their discontent at the amount of protests and demonstrations on campus. One SRSLY member called the hoodie march for Trayvon Marton “the last straw.”

Credit: Jing Ran

Wharton junior Maddie Fait had a megaphone in one hand, and freshly-made picket signs in the other. She was ready to go.

Fait and about six other students joined hands on College Green yesterday to show their disgust at the number of protests and rallies that have occurred on campus this year.

The demonstration was organized by Students Reacting Strongly to Lots of Yelling — a new student group that grew organically from their shared distaste for organized protests. Fait said the group is “wholly non hierarchical.”

Fait and SRSLY’s other founders began discussions after students gathered on College Green to show support for undocumented students.

They finalized the group after the hoodie march for Trayvon Martin, which Fait called “the last straw.”

After about half an hour of standing in silence at yesterday’s protest, participants engaged in call-and-response chants.

“We don’t want you anymore, so get your protests out the door,” said one student into the megaphone. But the chants quickly faded as the group returned to silent hand-holding.

“I came to Penn because it didn’t have hippie liberals everywhere,” said Wharton freshman and SRSLY member Megan Ghose. “I’m seriously considering transferring to Brown because of all the ruckus.”

Ghose added that the demonstrations constituted “a real eyesore.” Penn for Palestine’s informational wall, erected the day her family visited campus, prevented them from taking a photo in front of College Hall for their next year’s holiday card, she said.

Others didn’t object so much to the amount of protests, but the nature of the protests.

A College sophomore who wished to remain anonymous to prevent her opinions from being attributed to her a year later believed that some of the groups protested “just to stay relevant.”

“Seriously, no one cares about what half these groups have to say anymore,” she said. “They’re just like two year-olds throwing tantrums to get attention.”

SRSLY reached out to several media outlets including The Philadelphia Inquirer, asking them to cover their demonstration. None replied.

“I think the event was successful — we had a variety of people there,” said SRSLY member and College senior Mak Loomba. “Hopefully that’s the last we’ll see of any protest again. Ever.”

For more information, check out this related story.