02052012_swimming_umbc078
men's and women's swimming vs. UMBC Brendan McHugh Credit: Laura Francis , Laura Francis

The men’s swimming and diving team ended its season with a disappointing sixth-place finish at Ivy championships last weekend. The Quakers defeated Cornell and Brown, but missed an opportunity to wrestle fifth away from Dartmouth.

The meet ended as it has the three previous years. Princeton, swimming in its home pool, once again raised the championship trophy with a score of 1,523.5 points in its fourth consecutive Ivy title. Harvard followed in second place with 1,446 points.

A trio of third place finishes was the best the Quakers could muster, including bronze in the 400-yard medley relay.

Brendan McHugh, whose breastroke demolished the competition during the regular season, was made to seem mortal, finishing third in the 100-yard breastroke and fourth in the 200-yard race, despite having the top seed time going into the meet.

Unlike his competition, however, McHugh was not rested for the meet. He will taper in preparation for NCAA Championships at the end of next week, where he will swim the 100 and 200 breaststroke and the 200 individual medley.

Senior diver Jeff Cragg was honored with the Ivy League’s Ron Keenhold Award for scoring the most cumulative points over his four-year career as a Penn diver.

The week before the men’s meet, the women traveled to Harvard, also finishing sixth with a score of 767.

A talented Crimson squad beat out the Tigers, 1,478.5- 1,310.5, for their first title since 2009. Dartmouth edged out Penn for fifth, its best finish since 1981.

Sophomore Shelby Fortin claimed Penn’s only Ivy titles of either meet, winning both the 200 and 500-yard freestyle and taking second in the 1,650 free.