Monday marked a momentous day for Harvard and a sign of its dominance within the Ivy League.

On the basketball court, the Crimson, which have opened the season 8-0, were voted No. 24 in the ESPN/USA Today coaches’ poll and No. 25 in the Associated Press poll. This is the first ever appearance for the Crimson in either poll.

Harvard defeated No. 20 Florida State to win the Battle 4 Atlantis in the Bahamas. Wins over Vermont and Seattle this week propelled them into the national rankings. The Crimson will face their biggest opponent yet this year when they travel to Storrs, Ct. to take on the No. 9 Connecticut Huskies.

* * *

It wasn’t only the basketball team that was under the spotlight. Monday afternoon marked the presentation of the 2011 Bushnell Cup, the award given annually to the Ivy League’s top offensive and defensive players.

Harvard defensive tackle Josue Ortiz, who was a 2010 third team All-America selection, was named Defensive Player of the Year, beating out finalist and Penn linebacker Erik Rask. Ortiz recorded 10 sacks this year and led the Crimson to their first Ivy title since 2008.

Cornell sophomore quarterback Jeff Mathews won the Offensive Player of the Year award. He broke Ivy records for passing yardage in a season and a game.