11292011_panhelpres019
Panhellenic President Credit: Henry Chang , Henry Chang

College junior Jill Wang was selected president of the Panhellenic Council Monday night.
She was the former Vice President of Public Relations for Panhel and sat on a committee that helped bring Zeta Tau Alpha to Penn last year.

Wang met with The Daily Pennsylvanian yesterday to discuss her goals and priorities for the upcoming term.

The Daily Pennsylvanian: Why did you choose to run for president?
JW: I, like many, was not sure about going Greek up until preference night of formal recruitment. Ultimately the members of the board helped me to make my decision to go Greek and I’ve never looked back.

It’s been an amazing experience and has presented me with many opportunities—whether it’s leadership, time with friends and memories. It was one of the best decisions I’ve made over the past years of my life.

So as president of this great organization, I’m so honored to give back. I want to be able to convince all the girls who might not be sure about going Greek that it is such a great experience.

DP: As president, what is your first priority?
JW: Promoting the positive image of the Greek community. I really want to be able to show the rest of the Penn community that Greeks can do a lot of great things. Whether it’s through philanthropy, bonding or alumni networks, being Greek is an asset. I want to be able to show the community what a positive influence we can be.

DP: What other goals do you have for the Panhellenic Council this year?
JW: I want to facilitate communication between the [Multicultural Greek Council] and [Interfraternity Council]. I want to promote Panhel and educate the sororities about what Panhel exactly does, also to become more involved in inner sorority relations and getting the girls together as a community rather than individual entities and chapters.

DP: In what ways do you hope to bring sororities together at Penn?
JW: One initiative I want to do is start a ‘meet the Panhel board’ dinner where we can open up discussion in a dinner or lunch setting and invite the Panhellenic community.

That way we actually get the visibility and interaction we want with other members of sororities.

Also, it was suggested that we do joint sorority philanthropy events.

DP: Are there any upcoming sorority-wide philanthropy events?
JW: Unfortunately Operation Warm fell through, so we picked up Rena Rowan as another fall philanthropy event, which is upcoming next week on December 7th, and it’s going to be called Breast Buy Rena Rowan Shop for the Cure.

It’s for the benefit of the Rena Rowan Breast Cancer Center which provides breast cancer treatment for women who can’t afford it at the Penn hospitals. Local businesses will be donating a portion of their profits to the breast cancer center.

DP: What are you the most excited about as president?
JW: I’ve been on the board this past year, and I’m really excited to take the reigns. I know what works and what doesn’t work in my experience. I’m so excited to make things happen that I know will create positive change.

DP: Any thing else you’d like DP readers to know?
JW: I’d like to say how excited I am for this opportunity. I’d also like to thank the current board for providing me with the experience and memories … I’m just one part of the Panhellenic council and [the new board] has so much to offer to not just Greeks but the whole community.