09182011_cantaloupepi016
Cantaloupe Credit: Alexandra Fleischman , Alexandra Fleischman

An outbreak of listeria illness — linked to cantaloupes from Colorado-based producer Jensen Farms — has forced the fruit off menus at Penn.

Listeria, a deadly bacterial infection, is usually found in soil and water. It is the third deadliest foodborne illness in the United States, according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention.

As of Sept.17, there have been four deaths related to the illness and more than 20 cases reported in Colorado, Indiana, Nebraska, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas and West Virginia, according to The Washington Post.

Between July 29 and Sept. 10, Jensen Farms distributed more than 300,000 cases of cantaloupes throughout 17 states, including Pennsylvania. Jensen Farms issued a voluntary recall on Sept. 12, according to The Associated Press.

Bon Appetit Management Company, which operates Penn’s four dining halls and Houston Market, decided to stop serving the fruit on Sept. 13, based on a CDC advisory to avoid cantaloupe from the Rocky Ford growing region, explained Stephen Scardina, resident district manager of Bon Appetit at Penn Dining.

“Although the cantaloupe we serve is from sources unaffected by the recall, we wanted to take extra precautions to ensure that our consumers are safe and halted service of cantaloupe on campus,” he wrote in an email.

The Einstein Bros. Bagel outlet in Houston Hall has stopped serving fruit cups until further notice, as its fruit cups regularly contain cantaloupe.

Au Bon Pain, which serves a variety of fresh fruit daily, determines its selection based on price cycles, freshness and availability of fruit, Senior Vice President of Marketing Ed Frechette said.

Due to the current cycle, the cafe was selling honeydew, instead of cantaloupe, when the outbreak was first announced.

Frechette said the manager of Au Bon Pain at Penn is aware of the situation and will not serve cantaloupe until an “all-clear signal” has been issued.

“It is unfortunate that we have to go without cantaloupe for now, but it is much more important that Penn is looking out for our safety,” College sophomore Jeremy Berman said.

However, some local vendors will continue to sell the fruit.

The Fresh Grocer only imports cantaloupes from California and will continue to sell them, produce Field Manager Mark Pepper said.

A fruit cart located on 37th and Spruce streets will also continue sales.

The family-owned cart has been selling fruit around campus for 15 years, manager Michael Nguyen said.

Nguyen buys fresh fruit daily from the Philadelphia Wholesale Produce Market, which hosts 26 different merchants. He was told that the cantaloupe he bought has passed inspection.

According to a Sept. 16 PWPM report provided by the United States Department of Agriculture, the market for cantaloupes has increased, while those for honeydew and watermelon have decreased and remained steady, respectively.

“I just want to sell the best fruit because I want everyone to eat and be healthy,” Nguyen said.