09152011_fallrushsigns016
Crime fair Credit: Bridget McGeehan , Mirela Zaneva

Phi Kappa Sigma, also known as “Skulls,” will remain under probation until this May.

Fraternity activities were suspended by the University and its international headquarters in January 2011 following the death of Matthew Crozier, a John Carroll University student.

Despite its probation, Skulls was able to accept new members this fall with no additional limitations from the Interfraternity Council or the Office of Student Affairs, Director of Student Affairs and Fraternity Sorority Life Scott Reikofski wrote in an email.

The fraternity’s suspension from the University lasted three months before it was lifted in March 2011. However, Skulls remains under probation with its international headquarters. The probation is “endorsed” by Penn, Reikofski wrote.

Crozier suffered fatal head injuries after a fall at Skulls’ chapter house at 3539 Locust Walk during an unregistered New Year’s Eve party.

Although Skulls remains a “dry” fraternity, the Philadelphia Daily News reported that alcohol was present at the party. Due to these offenses, the IFC chapter was not permitted to accept new members last spring during rush events.

A College sophomore, who rushed Phi Kappa Sigma this fall, said that open house events were hosted at the fraternity’s on-campus residence, which is privately owned by the fraternity. He added that fall rush events were “advertised to everyone.” He wishes to remain anonymous to conceal his association with Phi Kappa Sigma during new member education events.

At rush events, the Skulls brothers did not mention the events that took place in January, he said, adding that “only the pledges said anything about it.”

The College sophomore added that none of the members who decided to join Skulls in the fall are planning to move into the house any time this semester or next.

Since the fraternity was not able to accept new members last spring, only members with positions on the fraternity’s executive board occupy the 25-person house, College junior and Skulls member Jake Shuster said.

Both Reikofski and College junior and Skulls President Jon Monfred said Skulls will join all other IFC fraternities in spring rush next semester and will accept new members.

“We were thrilled with how successful fall rush was,” Monfred wrote in an email. “There was a great turnout from guys who had been interested last year as well as a lot of new guys.”

Due to the probation, Skulls must fulfill additional philanthropy requirements from its national headquarters, Monfred said. Shuster added that the fraternity plans to hold their annual Bike-A-Thon philanthropy event ­— where students sponsor fraternity members to ride a stationary bike for 24 consecutive hours — during homecoming weekend in November.

Shuster said he is looking forward to returning to “normalcy.”