The Clyde F. Barker Transplant House will open as the first of its kind in Philadelphia on July 1. Although the University and the community should be for commended for establishing such an important resource, the site of the building was poorly chosen.

Situated between the Phi Kappa Psi fraternity house and Allegro Pizza, the house is at the center of the late-night weekend partying.

While representatives claim that young people will be “invigorating” for patients and their families, what residents really need is the “oasis” originally envisioned — a relaxing environment without loud party-goers.

With 24/7 shuttle service available to and from the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, the Transplant House does not have to be located so close to the hospital. A better location might have been just a few blocks away from campus, just as the Ronald McDonald House at 3925 Chestnut St. is further removed from the buzz of student life.

As unfortunate as the location is, the house is about to open its doors. Therefore, it is important that the Transplant House be incorporated into Penn culture.

The house’s staff should make an effort to educate students about the nature of the establishment, particularly to freshmen during New Student Orientation.

Students in turn must take care to respect the families and patients residing in this home. Although it might be a shock to the block’s normal late-night culture, the benefits of this transplant house for patients far outweigh the potential costs to night life.

What do you think about the new Transplant House? How can it fit into campus culture? Send us your thoughts to letters@theDP.com.