04072011_takebackthenight073
Members of the Penn community take a stand and raise their voices against sexual violence through a rally, a march through campus, and a candlelight vigil. Credit: Christina Wu

Penn’s annual Take Back the Night began on Thursday with yelling and laughter and ended in silence and tears.

The event, coordinated by Assault and Sexual Abuse Prevention and the Penn Women’s Center, provided students with a platform to speak out and raise awareness about sexual assault and abuse while encouraging them to stop violence.

“Opening a dialogue about sexual assault on campus is extremely important,” College junior and event coordinator Joseph Lawless said. “I think it’s important to support the amazing survivors of abuse on this campus.”

A group of about 200 students gathered on College Green to rally and march through campus.

Penn President Amy Gutmann could not attend, but instead sent a letter expressing her hope that the event would give victims “strength and hope.”

“As you travel around our campus, may those who see you and those who hear you be inspired by your commitment and enlightened by your message,” she wrote.

Keynote speaker Gary Cuccia and Excelano Project member and Wharton freshman Alice Liu also spoke at the rally.

Cuccia told the story of his 16-year-old daughter who was murdered when her ex-boyfriend stabbed her 16 times. He encouraged students to educate themselves and contact their legislatures.

“You’re all young adults and you’re getting your independence and think you can handle these situations,” he said. “You need this education to decipher what’s a healthy relationship and what’s an unhealthy relationship.”

Liu read a poem dedicated to a friend. “You are not the one who faltered … know you are worth so much more than what he has taken.”

Then, holding signs and chanting, students took to the streets and marched up and down Walnut Street and Locust Walk.

Engineering freshman Alexandra Stambaugh, who held a sign that said “Got Consent?”, said the event made her realize the lack of awareness of sexual abuse on campus.

“There was somebody on the corner who was like, ‘What does your sign mean?’ I didn’t realize people didn’t understand,” Stambaugh said.

Take Back the Night ended with a candlelight vigil on the steps of Wynn Commons, during which abuse survivors spoke out about their experiences.

“We’re here to tell our stories, our histories without judgment or shame,” said Nina Harris, a violence prevention educator at the Women’s Center.

Felicity Paxton, director of the Women’s Center, first attended a Take Back the Night event 22 years ago but said she continues to be “floored” by the courage of survivors.

“If you’re not inspired, you’re not paying attention,” Paxton said.

“I thought it was really, really incredible and really moving ?… so many emotions, but at the end of it you have to feel empowered by the bravery and the sense of community,” Social Policy and Practice graduate student Elizabeth Palmer said.