The Alpha Beta chapter of Zeta Tau Alpha accepted its first pledge class of 150 girls in February since being re-established on Penn’s campus.

In 1991, a similar process was taking place this time of year but for Pi Beta Phi, a sorority that no longer exists at Penn. Pi Beta Phi, along with Sigma Kappa, were the last two sororities waiting to be added to Penn’s Panhellenic system in a larger expansion plan that included the colonization of five new sororities.

Sigma Kappa did not come to Penn until 2002. The other three — Alpha Phi, Kappa Alpha Theta and Alpha Chi Omega — had already been established. Of the five sororities added, Pi Beta Phi is the only sorority not still established at Penn.

Nine years later, The Daily Pennsylvanian reported that the sorority was giving up its house and had decided not to accept a pledge class in 2000. The national organization did not revoke Pi Phi’s charter, but it disbanded because of low membership in 2000.

Pi Beta Phi was the last sorority to leave Penn’s campus until the Phi Sigma Sigma chapter was revoked by its national headquarters, also for low membership numbers — paving the way for ZTA to become Penn’s newest eighth sorority.

Click here for a larger version.