Amidst religious disagreements on a national and global level, women from different religions came together to discuss something they had in common Wednesday.

The Programs in Religion, Interfaith and Spirituality Matters — Penn’s interfaith student group — hosted ““Women?? In Religion???,” a panel in which five female students of different faiths sat side-by-side in the basement of 1920 Commons to answer questions about stereotypes relating to women and religion.

Among the religious faiths represented by the women were Protestantism, Catholicism, Islam, Judaism and Baha’i. The event — part of PRISM’s “The Demonization of the Other” series — was “about breaking down different religious stereotypes,” according to PRISM Programming Chairwoman and College freshman Julie Berez.

Questions asked by the moderator dealt with topics such as the roles women can have in certain religions, marriage and motherhood expectations, views on abortion, women’s rights and homosexuality. The audience then had the opportunity to ask how the distinct religions differ — and sometimes even agree — on certain issues.

On the topic of abortion and how it relates to women’s rights, each panelist gave a different explanation about their religion’s stance. PRISM Chairwoman and College junior Maria Bellantoni, who was also a Catholic panelist, said that the Catholic Church’s position places an “emphasis on humanity itself, not so much on the gender issue.”

While Bellantoni said that the Catholic Church’s position is unanimous on the abortion issue, Jewish panelist and College sophomore Melissa Goldstein explained that within the Jewish religion, not everyone feels the same way and that “everyone has a different answer.”

The women also mentioned how they dealt with their faiths when they began attending a secular university. College and Wharton junior Besan Abu-Joudeh, a Muslim, said she still prays five times a day but that "it can be difficult at times because of a busy life."

Reactions to the event varied. College freshman Chantelle Belic said she “found the event interesting, but thought the perspectives were too narrow and … did not represent all women of that religion.”

Nursing freshman Megan McMonigle said she appreciated the discussion. “Having an event where they can discuss religion among religions in an enlightening sense, as opposed to a derogatory sense, is important,” she said. “For some people, religion is as big a part of their identity as their name and gender.”