Friday night, students can break it down with Strictly Funk and pick up a new move with Sparks Dance Company while helping to raise money for a good cause.

Penn’s first annual Dance Marathon will take place from 6 p.m. until midnight in Bodek Lounge, Houston Hall. Hosted by Marketing Undergraduate Students Establishment, the Dance Marathon will raise money for CityStep, a nonprofit student organization that teaches dance to kids in West Philadelphia.

Each hour of the night is themed, with a different dance group teaching a class for fifteen to thirty minutes followed by free dance for the second half hour. The lineup includes dance groups Sparks, Arts House Dance Company, Strictly Funk and Hype. The last hour of the night will be free dance to VH1 top 100 hits. The event will also feature Wharton junior Daniel De Jesus, Wharton sophomore Brett Schlesinger and College sophomore Rebecka Zavaleta as the disc jockeys.

In addition to dancing, students can also look forward to lots of free food, including Insomnia Cookies.

College junior Hannah Peterson plans to attend Dance Marathon. “I’m excited to be able to interact with these dance groups that I’ve seen in shows for many years. To be considered part of Strictly Funk for half an hour, that’s reason enough,” she said.

Many groups on campus have registered in teams, according to MUSE Vice President of Community Service and Wharton sophomore Rae Tao. For instance, all-female comedy group Bloomers plans to participate dressed as nuns to promote their upcoming show, she said.

MUSE had planned to host a dance marathon last year to raise money for microfinance organization Givology. However, the event was canceled due to snow storms. This year, MUSE decided to work with CityStep because of its connection with dance, Tao said.

Randall Rosenberg, a College senior and executive director of CityStep, explained that her dance group will put the money toward their program with West Philadelphia dance students. CityStep teaches dance classes at four local schools to students from fourth to seventh grade, incorporating the students into their annual show in April.

“CityStep gives these kids, whose schools otherwise lack art education programs, a chance to learn dance and participate in our annual show,” Rosenberg said. “More importantly, CityStep provides an alternative outlet for our students to express their creativity and build self-esteem.” The proceeds from Dance Marathon will help cover costs such as transporting the students back and forth to Penn for practices and buying costumes.

Tickets cost $10 and can be bought online or at the door. Groups of 10 or more will automatically receive a discount. Three-hundred people have already signed up.