The Student Labor Action Project has asked the University not to reinvest in HEI Hotel and Resorts. Penn currently has $14.5 million committed to the company, which has been repeatedly accused of violating workers’ rights.

Executive Vice President Craig Carnaroli must give this petition — signed by students, faculty and representatives of 29 campus organizations — the serious consideration it deserves. We want the University to be transparent in its deliberation and decision process. And if the University finds the allegations to be valid, it should accept SLAP’s recommendation.

There are a number of competing interests for Penn to take into account. The organizers of SLAP and the members of the University community who signed the petition are very passionate about the issue. On the other hand, HEI was founded by two Wharton alumni.

Other Ivy League universities that also invest in HEI have settled on opposing solutions. Brown University announced last week that it will not reinvest in the company because of “a persistent pattern of allegations,” while Yale University will likely continue investing because of the lack of “additional meaningful facts.”

While we cannot judge the veracity of the claims against HEI, we hope that Penn keeps the process open to all those who wish to voice their opinions and provides a transparent justification for its verdict.

What's your take on SLAP's petition against HEI? Send us a letter to the editor: letters@theDP.com.