One of the many things that makes Penn such a great institution is the diversity of its students. The variety of their backgrounds contributes to the vibrancy of this campus.

We therefore commend the ongoing efforts of the University to increase this diversity — particularly in the area of socioeconomic status.

To make the college admissions process easier for students from low-income families, the Office of Undergraduate Admissions has recently partnered with Student Financial Services to redesign Penn’s financial aid brochure and define potentially unfamiliar terms such as “need-blind admissions.”

And for several years now, Penn has partnered with the nonprofit organizations QuestBridge and the Posse Foundation to award full four-year scholarships to deserving low-income students. During the early decision process this year, the University selected 17 QuestBridge and 11 Posse scholars for the class of 2015.

For these reasons, the students that have been admitted to the incoming freshman class are the most socioeconomically diverse of any class in the recent past, according to Dean of Admissions Eric Furda.

Admitting more low-income students will not only enrich their educational experience but the diversity they bring to the University will also enrich the experience of everyone here.

What do you think of the University's outreach to students from low-income families? Send us a letter to the editor: letters@theDP.com.