Student groups looking to advertise on Locust Walk may have another option by the end of the semester.

College sophomore and Undergraduate Assembly Communications Director Chris Cruz announced the launch of PennSigns, a new Penn Student Agency that will sell lawn signs to groups for $4 a sign.

The project has been in the works since September.

Cruz and his roommate, Wharton sophomore Anirudh Maheshwari, were brainstorming ways to improve a “marketing and communications system between student groups and students.”

Cruz added that the service will be useful because while there are already “many” lawn signs on Locust, “small student groups weren’t able to use them because of the high cost.”

Federal Express sells yard signs for roughly $15-35 each, depending on the quantity purchased.

Cruz brought the idea to the UA in early October, where he said fellow representatives supported the idea but did not think the UA should be a funding source. Office of Student Affairs Executive Director Karu Kozuma, also adviser to the UA, pointed Cruz to Penn Student Agencies, which “loved the idea.”

“It’s confirmed that we’re working together, but not exactly how — that’s still up in the air,” he said.

PSA Promotions Manager and College senior Mariama Perry is optimistic about the partnership.

“I am hoping that the business will benefit student groups by providing an affordable yet effective alternative to traditional publicity efforts,” she wrote in an e-mail.

For now, PSA is helping with “initial funding for the original signs” — which PennSigns will reuse, Cruz said.

Maheshwari said their model is focused on a rental system, and PennSigns will manage the signs as well as provide design support.

Cruz said the Penn Consortium of Undergraduate Women and the Student Federal Credit Union have already expressed interest in working with PennSigns. The UA is also looking to use the signs to advertise its upcoming “text the UA” feature.

PennSigns will begin to market their service more heavily next semester but is already open for business. “We’re ready to take on orders by this week or next week,” Cruz said.