Mary Frances Berry knows a lot about stereotypes. She’s seen them, she’s been labeled by them and she’s been patronized by them. But being a black woman hasn’t stopped her success. Instead, it ignited a passion within her to fight for justice, she said.

Pre-Law Women at Penn and the Society for Pre-Law Students of Color hosted “An Evening with Professor Mary Frances Berry” Tuesday evening. The Penn professor spoke about her life, the law and lessons in civil rights.

After receiving a doctorate in history and a law degree from the University of Michigan, Berry began her career in public service. As the former Chairwoman of the U. S. Commission on Civil Rights, Berry worked to prevent discrimination. Things were running smoothly until then-President Ronald Reagan decided to cut back on civil rights enforcement, she said. “He thought we were a pocket of renegades. Something had to be done about us,” Berry explained.

When Reagan fired Berry, she fought back and sued the former President. Berry said mustering up the courage to sue Reagan was one of the hardest things that she has ever done, but in the end the court ruled in her favor.

“I had my 15 minutes of fame that Andy Warhol says everyone should have,” Berry said.

The media attention helped her to succeed in her next project, the Free South Africa Movement. She protested relentlessly for democracy in South Africa and found herself in prison for the cause. But her efforts were successful, and she was in Cape Town to witness Nelson Mandela’s release from prison.

When asked what still needs to be done to help improve civil rights, Berry responded that you simply need people who are committed to the cause. “Things are a hell of a lot better than they were though,” she added.

For students looking into a law career, Berry encouraged them to go for it. “You don’t necessarily have to want to be a lawyer. You can go into public service, business or management. Law is a good field to help you understand more about whatever you’re doing.”

Mikhael Abebe, a College junior and the event coordinator for the Society for Pre-Law Students of Color, said he was happy with the event. “We had a pretty good turnout, and the room was full. I thought, personally, she was very entertaining.”

College freshman Nina Blalock said she found Berry’s lecture very inspiring. From her speech Blalock said she took home the message “to just be resilient about whatever it is that you want to do. Whether you want to be a lawyer or not, it’s important to just keep working hard.”