11142009_fbcvsharvardmelanie660
Penn defeats Harvard in Boston 17-7 to effectively clinch the ivy league championship. Credit: Melanie Lei

The honors continue to roll in for the Penn football team.

After defeating Yale 27-20 on Saturday in New Haven, Conn., the Quakers moved up two spots to No. 21 in the Football Championship Subdivision Coaches’ Poll — Penn’s highest ranking since earning the No. 17 spot in November 2004.

The only other Ivy team to receive votes in the poll was Harvard, who is tied for third in the Ancient Eight after defeating Princeton 45-28 this weekend.

The Red and Blue (5-1, 3-0 Ivy) were also ranked No. 21 in the FCS media poll, falling one spot from last weekend.

Meanwhile, junior defensive back Jason Schmucker was named Ivy League Defensive Player of the Week, marking the fourth consecutive week that a Penn player has received conference honors.

Schmucker recorded his first career sack against the Bulldogs, who entered Saturday’s match with the top ranked-offense in the Ivy League.

And as the Bulldogs attempted a fourth-quarter comeback, Schmucker stepped in, intercepting Witt at the Penn 14 to secure the Red and Blue’s seven-point lead.

Schmucker will look to repeat his strong defensive efforts this Saturday when Penn takes on Brown, the only other undefeated team in the Ivy League