09102010_wsoccervsstjoes0006
Penn women's soccer beats St. Joes 1-0. Penn 00 Caroline Williams SJ 13 Mo Hawkins Credit: Katie Rubin

As the eyes of the women’s soccer team, goalkeeper Caroline Williams can see the entire field. She carefully directs her squad, shouting instructions, instilling confidence in her teammates.

Williams has proved instrumental in the success of a Penn team that is currently tied for first in the Ivy League. After sitting out her freshman year, William’s disciplined play has helped the Quakers to shutout their last four opponents.

Her rise mirrors the success of her mother Deborah Williams, the coxswain on the 1980 Penn rowing team that went undefeated en route to winning the school’s first varsity eight EAWRC Sprints title.

While both coxswains and goalkeepers have physical skills that differ from the rest of their team, the similarities don’t end there.

Both are responsible for understanding the habits of their teammates and instructing them on how to react to the competition. The coxswain points out if a boat is gaining or losing ground, similar to the way a goalkeeper calls out defensive assignments.

“Hearing stories about how [members of the 1980 crew team] worked together has helped me as I try to be a leader and motivate my teammates,” Caroline, who has eight shutouts on the season, said. “Being an upperclassman has led me into a role that my mother has prepared me for.”

Both mother and daughter share a deep understanding of how their positions can guide their teammates and encourage solidarity, which plays a key role in the team’s cohesiveness on the water or in the field.

“Deborah had unwavering respect from the crew and tremendous confidence,” said Duane Hickling, coach of the 1980 team. “She would always steer the boat straight; it was impeccable. If she said there were 25 strokes left in the race, there were 25, not 24 or 26.”

By calling the exact number of strokes needed to finish, the coxswain allows the rowers to budget their strength accordingly. Like her mother, Caroline also holds the trust of her defense by calling out attackers she deems most dangerous.

“When you go out in the world, [you] have to work as a team,” Deborah, who has attended every one of her daughter’s games, said.

“I never coddled her,” the elder Williams added. “I tried to make her independent, and if she had a problem with a coach or teacher, she had to deal with it.”

The independence and confidence instilled in her by her mother has turned Williams into a troubleshooter. Her approach to handling opposing offenses is now paying dividends for the Quakers.

Though on the surface Caroline and her mother could not look more different — Caroline towers over her mother who is just 5-foot-2 — the pair, according to their respective coaches, also share an ability to put teammates at ease, though each has done so in different ways.

While Deborah loved to dance and earned the nickname ‘Disco Deb,’ Hickling said that her professionalism took over as soon as the team got on the water. The same holds for the younger Williams.

“[Caroline] has a great sense of humor and relieves some of the pressures,” women’s soccer coach Darren Ambrose said.

Jokes aside, Deborah attributes her daughter’s success to hard work and maturity.

In overcoming two ACL surgeries and sitting behind two juniors her freshman year, Caroline has proved her worth in goal and has the Quakers looking at both an Ivy League title and NCAA berth.

“She has such a presence in the goal and this has been her coming out party this year,” Ambrose said.