The theme of Monday morning’s Eric and Beth Schlager Lecture Series on Real Estate seemed to be “inspirational” according to many students in attendance.

The speaker for the lecture was philanthropist Samuel Zell, founder and chairman of Equity Group Investments. Zell’s discussion on entrepreneurship was fitting because he represents the very epitome of entrepreneurship, according to Wharton professor Peter Linneman, who introduced the speaker.

Zell began the speech with a definition of the word to which he has been consigned, but he also showed that there is not just one definition. He explained that entrepreneurship is stepping outside society’s expectations, that it is what makes America a land of opportunity. Entrepreneurship is also an individual worldview and represents a striving for personal perfection.

In the midst of this ever-changing definition, Zell paused to regard the crowd, who was frantically scrawling down his thoughts with notebooks and pencils. He relaxed, letting his hands fall to the podium. “I believe it was Confucius who said that the definition of a schmuck is someone who reaches his goals,” he said, rousing a laugh from the audience.

As he spoke, Zell also interjected with short stories from his past. These anecdotes all began with phrases that few people other than Zell could say: “When I was investing $50 billion …” or “I was a billionaire before …”

After the hour speech was finished, students congregated outside the Huntsman Hall lecture room. Like many other students in attendance, Wharton MBA student Jeremy Weil, described Zell as “inspirational.”

The energy and intelligence of Samuel Zell is what brought Wharton sophomore Joseph Cohen back for more. “I saw him speak last year,” Cohen explained, crediting Zell as the best speaker he has seen at Penn. He also rambled off a few adjectives to describe Zell including “iconoclastic,” “enthusiastic” – and, again — “inspiring.”