03192010_menstennisvstjohns011
Mens Tennis team versus St. Johns on Friday March 19th Phil Law Credit: Monica Martin

Though the Penn men’s tennis team got off to a strong start this season, the Quakers unraveled down the stretch.

After an 8-0 start, the Quakers have only won three of their last 13 matches and ended with a five game losing streak — including two this weekend.

Penn came out winless this weekend, losing 5-2 to Columbia at home, and Cornell in Ithaca, N.Y., to cap what can be summarized as a somewhat disappointing season.

“Every single match, it looks like everyone put in all their effort, all the scores were actually kind of close,” sophomore Jason Lin said. “The other team’s really good though, you have to give them credit.”

As it has been for most of the season, the Quakers (11-10, 1-6 Ivy) lost the doubles point against both schools, thus setting the tone for the remainder of the matches.

Against the Lions (15-4, 5-1), only the No. 3 doubles duo of sophomore Phil Law and senior Adam Schwartz was able to get a win, and the Quakers were swept by the Big Red (18-7, 5-2) in doubles play.

“The guys competed their butts off,” coach Nik DeVore said. “It just wasn’t enough today unfortunately.”

Although the Quakers’ overall record was an improvement from last year­ — Penn finished 10-12 in 2009 — the season ended on a low note.

“It’s had its ups and downs,” Lin said. “Before the Ivy season we were playing really well, but the Ivy season came, and we had a couple close losses, and that kind of set the tone for the Ivy season.”

“Certainly our record is not where we want it to be at all, it’s unacceptable,” DeVore said. “But we’ve been competitive with every single team that’s in the running.”

Despite the lackluster ending, Schwartz shared only positive memories about his collegiate tennis career.

“I think it’s been a great experience,” the senior said. “Becoming captain and learning a lot from the other guys coming out — I think I’ve had a great experience. I wouldn’t change it any other way.”