02102010_febclub023
Feb Club kick off Credit: Jennifer Liao

Feb Club is calling all members of Penn’s senior class.

A celebration for seniors, Feb Club consists of daily events through the month of February. For each night this month, the 2010 Class Board has organized events at different venues and cultural establishments around Philadelphia so that the seniors can “have their last hoorah,” according to 2010 Class Board Secretary and College senior Ariel Colangelo.

In accordance with tradition, the festivities will begin and end at campus staple Smokey Joe’s Tavern.

The aim of Feb Club is to encourage “class unity and bonding” and to give students an opportunity to visit bars, restaurants and other cultural destinations on campus and throughout the Philadelphia area that they “haven’t gotten a chance to in past three years,” said Senior Class President and Wharton senior Arthur Gardner Smith.

Some of the major events include the Penn-Princeton basketball game, and senior nights at the Mask and Wig show , the Vagina Monologues and Social Planning and Events Committee’s ComFest. There will also be late nights at locations such as Distrito Cantina and Jimmy John’s.

Smith said there will be a number of dry events for those seniors who will not be 21.

In attempt to “cater to all crowds,” this year’s Feb Club will include a new dry event at Five Guys.

Another new event will be at Denim in Center City, according to Smith.

“It is really cool that the University supports this and that the Office of Alcohol and Other Drug Program Initiatives will do a great job of insuring that everything will be safe and covered,” Colangelo said.

At the beginning of the month, each senior will receive a Feb Club Card, which allows them to receive the specials offered at each location.

Each senior who attends a set number of events will win prizes that will be distributed during Senior Week in May.

The seniors who accomplish the “ultimate goal” of attending all 28 events will get their names engraved on a plaque that will hang in Smoke’s, according to Colangelo.

Feb Club was initially started by the Senior Class Board to make sure that “the class came together before graduation,” Smith said.

“It is really cool to host all these events and put names to faces of so much of our class,” Colangelo said.

Smith said he is looking forward to this event “as this was one of biggest events we had in mind coming to Class Board freshman year, and we are more than prepared to make sure that it is special and successful.”