higdonjennifer
Higdon has master’s and doctoral degrees in composition from Penn.

Last week’s Grammy-award winners included Kings of Leon, Taylor Swift, Beyoncé — and Penn alumna Jennifer Higdon.

On Jan. 31, Higdon won the Grammy for Best Classical Contemporary Composition for her Percussion Concerto, recorded by the London Philharmonic Orchestra.

The Grammy’s are presented every year by the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences of the United States for exceptional achievements in the music industry.

Higdon graduated from Penn with master’s and doctoral degrees in composition. She also holds degrees from Bowling Green State University and the Curtis Institute of Music, where she currently teaches.

Higdon is the owner of Lawdon Press, a music publisher.

She said she was “totally thrilled” to receive a Grammy.

“I haven’t slept much in the past week — and I don’t expect to be able to for at least another month,” she said.

The award was one of 99 given out before the televised screening of the more popular awards.

Higdon was unable to attend the ceremony, but was able to watch a live screening that was available for nominees.

The award-winning composition was special to her because she loves percussion, she said.

The piece has been performed by several orchestras and bands, including the Marine Band that performs for President Barack Obama, according to Higdon.

She added that the recording of the composition that won the Grammy was especially powerful because it was played by the London Philharmonic, which also recorded the soundtrack for the Lord of the Rings movies.

Higdon attended Penn from 1989 to 1994 with what she described as a “top-notch group” that included another Grammy winner and Penn alumnus Osvaldo Golijov.

“I really enjoyed the atmosphere at Penn — there’s something special about the place,” she said.

Jay Reise, a professor in the Music Department, described Higdon as “one of our most talented students, and now one of the nation’s top performers.”

He added that her music is able to evoke moods and emotions that enrich the listener upon hearing it.

“Her Percussion Concerto is a splendid piece — replete with clear and strong ideas, irresistible energy, contrasting moods and marvelous craft,” Reise said.

Music professor James Primosch said the Music Department is proud to call Higdon an alumna.

“Her music is admirable for its passion and directness of expression. Performers are happy to advocate for her work because her writing is so highly idiomatic,” he added.

Similarly, Dean of the School of Arts and Sciences Rebecca Bushnell said the school was proud to count Higdon in their “tradition of fostering great composers.”

“Her work is both innovative and accessible,” she said.