Suicide is the third-leading cause of death among 15- to 24-year-olds, according to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention. Many of those deaths are linked to depression, substance abuse or a lack of access to treatment.

In the face of these statistics, Penn’s suicide prevention program has evolved over the years to be what Counseling and Psychological Services Director Bill Alexander called “the most effective method to date.”

He explained that there “is a lot of variety in how colleges do suicide prevention,” but over the past 15 years, Penn has implemented and refined the “liaison method.”

Each year the University has between 80 and 120 liaisons — faculty or staff members — who can alert CAPS to potential concerns. Every administrative unit, faculty department and college house has its own representative. CAPS staff members are assigned four to six of these liaisons, with whom they are in contact throughout the year.

“This way, they can keep an eye out, and if they do need to report something to us, CAPS is not an agency but rather a person you know,” Alexander said.

Faculty can also report any kind of behavior that concerns them, such as “bleakness in a writing assignment” or “a substantial drop in grades,” according to Alexander. CAPS advises the faculty member on how to handle the situation, or “if it were dramatic or life-threatening,” Director of Student Intervention Services Sharon Smith could intervene directly.

CAPS also trains residential advisors at the beginning of each academic year to look for signs and know what to do in an intervention.

“Most people who do dangerous things usually give tell-tale signs,” Alexander explained.

Many rumors exist about suicidal tendencies, for example, that someone who talks about being suicidal a lot is actually making it up. “Basically none of these myths are true,” Alexander said.

In general, he explained, “the goals of a prevention program is to have a lot of eyes and ears everywhere that are trained to see the signs.”

Still, not every suicide can be prevented.

Over the past decade, Penn has had only a few suicides, including a Wharton junior in 2001, a Wharton senior in 2002 and another Wharton senior in 2005.

After the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, Alexander said, “our system really grew up and worked for us.” Over the years, CAPS has identified “so many kids who are at risk for something, whether that be self-harm or an eating disorder,” he added.

In the event of any immediate danger, Smith would “be the one to act on it and actually go knock on a student’s door to check if he or she’s okay,” Alexander said.

This is an “extreme case,” he clarified, but it can happen as often as once a month.

If the student lives off campus, Director of Special Services Pat Brennan may accompany Smith.

It’s important to note, Alexander said, that many times Smith and Brennan could find the student “just sitting in his room, minding his own business,” but sometimes it has saved a life.

In the event that a suicide does occur, the Vice Provost for University Life has a handbook listing the necessary steps. It calls for Smith to assemble a team from Student Intervention Services, who would work with Brennan, CAPS and University Chaplain Chaz Howard.

Typically, CAPS would reach out to affected students, Howard would contact the family and the Employee Assistance Program would provide support for faculty and staff who knew the student.

“Sharon Smith is like the quarterback who coordinates with everyone,” Alexander said.

Suicide prevention is not unique to Penn. Approximately 1,100 college students die by suicide each year, according to an estimate by the Suicide Prevention Resource Center, so many peer institutions have also been working toward refining their prevention systems.

Cornell University had 21 suicides between 1996 and 2006. After three students committed suicide within a short time span in 2002, officials launched a new prevention program, similar to the one used by the U.S. Air Force. Over the past seven years, five students have committed suicide, according to The New York Times — a much lower number than in past years.

This year, Cornell released a faculty handbook entitled “Recognizing and Responding to Students in Distress,” which will be available for other colleges to adapt, according to Tim Marchell, director of mental health initiatives at Cornell’s Gannett Health Services.

The Massachusetts Institute of Technology has seen over 50 suicides since 1964. At New York University, the atrium of the Bobst Library is often referred to as “The Atrium of Horror” because it has been the site of multiple student suicides over the years, including one in early November.

NYU officials put up plexiglass panels around the library’s upper floors in 2005, but these did not prevent last month’s suicide.

“It’s all about being proactive,” Alexander said. “We do as much as we can.”