stateoftheschoolbottom
state of school in college hall. board members presented developments Credit: Jennifer Liao

Wednesday night’s State of the School address included the most “baller” presentations yet, or so said Nominations and Elections Committee Vice Chairman for Nominations and College sophomore Shomik Sarkar.

At the annual event, which was hosted by the NEC, leaders of the six branches of Penn Student Government highlighted their past accomplishments, plans for the spring and creative talents.

For example, Student Committee on Undergraduate Education Chairwoman and College senior Alex Berger read a poem to outline her organization’s plans.

In January, SCUE will release its White Paper, she recited. Published every five years, the document aims to give insight into how to best improve undergraduate life.

College senior and Social Planning and Events Committee President Dasha Barannik gave a 34th Street Magazine-themed presentation.

The “ego” of the semester was SPEC’s new event, Fall Festival, which featured artist Super Mash Bros. SPEC also hosted Steve Forbes Nov. 3. SPEC’s other concerts included The Walkmen and The Antlers.

Barannik added that SPEC’s Winterfest will take place Friday on College Green.

College senior and NEC Chairwoman Rachel Levick discussed the NEC, noting that the branch is “composed of 36 very attractive members.”

Levick highlighted voter turnout in the freshman elections and Tuesday’s marketing campaign for State of the School, which featured signs suggesting what campus would look like without student government — suggestions like “Fling is Cancelled” and “No More Hey Day.”

The NEC’s spring plans include assigning University Council seats and overseeing student government elections.

According to a rap video, the Class Boards are “bringin’ the heat.”

Each of the Class Board presidents talked about their fall events, like the Econ Scream, hypnotist Tom Deluca, Abroad in West Philly and Seniors Take Over 40th Street.

Future events include NSOver Again for freshmen, a sophomore spotlight program, Hey Day and Feb Club.

During the Student Activities Council presentation, members burst into the room in cheerleading outfits.

SAC, which allocates funding to over 200 student groups and “needs more dough,” according to members, addressed the Undergraduate Assembly in their cheer, saying, “Rah rah, fight fight, this time get our budget right.” (The UA allocates funding to the PSG branches each spring.)

UA Chairman and College junior Alec Webley discussed free legal services, airport shuttles and free New York Times.

Webley also announced that, as a part of the Late Night Dining initiative, Mark’s Cafe will be extending its hours to 2 a.m. starting Dec. 6.

Levick said more “non-PSG-affiliated undergraduates” attended the event than in past years. She called the night a “fun, successful way to show people that student government really impacts every aspect of their lives.”