When Wharton and College junior Rohan Grover begins his one-year term as the new chairman of the Asian Pacific Student Coalition on Dec. 18, he hopes to increase communication between APSC, other minority groups and the student body as a whole.

Grover, who was elected Wednesday, discussed his vision for APSC with The Daily Pennsylvanian.

The Daily Pennsylvanian: What are your goals for next year?

Rohan Grover: I really had three goals for the Coalition: to grow fruitful relationships both internally and externally, to continue pursuing aggressive advocacy campaigns and also to raise awareness through our programming efforts.

DP: Why did you run for this position?

RG: I’ve been heavily involved in the [Asian-Pacific] community for the past year and a half, especially on APSC board for the past year. I really enjoyed everything that I did and I thought that I could contribute in a greater capacity by running for chair and helping to steer the direction of the coalition.

DP: What would you like to see APSC do differently next year?

RG: We need to reach out more to our constituency and engage them in setting our agenda, ... reviewing what we have done, and also set our plans moving forward.

DP: Are there any big events that you and the new board will try to push?

RG: One event, which is not entirely done by APSC, is ECAASUC — the East Coast Asian American Student Union Conference. It’s a 33-year-old conference that is being hosted at Penn in March. APSC will fully support that conference and help to ensure its success this coming semester. It was held at Penn in 1993 and 2005, so it’s the third time we are hosting it.

DP: What plans do you have to work with other groups on campus?

RG: I really want to emphasize working with all of the other Asian-American groups and resources on this campus, like [the Pan-Asian American Community House] and the Asian American Studies Program. The [Asian-Pacific] community has grown a lot in the last 10 years or so, and it is really important that we are all on the same page.

Additionally, I want to make sure that we reach out to the resources in the administration, as well as student government and the other minority coalitions, and continue to strengthen those relationships.

DP: When the new board begins its term, how will you strengthen that communication?

RG: I am going to have every board position designated to reach out to particular individuals or resources in the community. For example, one position will reach out to all of our constituent groups, communicate with them individually. Others will reach out to the Asian American Studies Program [and PAACH], and ensure that everyone on the board ... contributes to centralizing the [Asian-Pacific] community through APSC.

DP: How has APSC progressed from when it started to where it is now?

RG: APSC was founded 15 years ago in 1995, and it has grown a lot in terms of better advocating for the interests of the constituency, being recognized by the administration, as well as being more proactive and productive in raising awareness and pursuing campaigns.