11112008_mrpenn_competition_143
Mike Castelo (left) of Penn Recreation competes in a final pose off against sophomore Anthony Balduzzi (right). Balduzzi ultimately won the title of Mr. Penn 2008. Credit: Chris Poliquin

At tonight’s 18th annual Ms. and Mr. Penn Bodybuilding Contest, Penn athletes and some very well-built students will compete for the title of the school’s king and queen of brawn.

Tickets to the event are $8 for open seating and are available today on Locust Walk. The competition begins at 7 p.m. in the Annenberg theatre.

Women’s track and field assistant coach Anthony Tenisci has been organizing the event since its inception, and all proceeds support the women’s track team.

The field is one of the largest in years, with 21 men and 16 women competing. Penn athletes on the men’s side include members of track and lightweight rowing as well as students and a Penn Recreation employee. On the women’s side competitors include members of track and cheerleading in addition to three students.

There are 10 judges for the competition, including football coach Al Bagnoli, volleyball coach Kerry Carr, wrestling coach Rob Eiter, women’s lacrosse coach Karin Brower and softball coach Leslie King.

“The contest is wide open for the men, as the reigning champion is not contesting his title,” Tenisci said in an e-mail, “and the women’s title is going to be extremely competitive too.”