Last week, the Penn Multicultural Greek Council’s executive board saw some drastic changes.

The Multicultural Greek Council — the umbrella organization ­for Penn’s 14 traditionally African American, Latino and Asian fraternities and sororities — held special elections to fill vacancies on their executive board after the former president and vice president resigned.

College senior Gabriella Blake was elected MGC president and Wharton sophomore Sang-Joon Kim was chosen as vice president in a special election held October 5.

The resignations took place at the beginning of the semester. According to Blake, both the former president and vice president, who were elected at the end of the spring semester, resigned because they felt they were too involved in other campus activities to be effective leaders in MGC.

“They felt they were spread too thin and wanted more dedicated leaders,” said Blake.

She also explained that both of the former board members would have remained in their positions had there not been many qualified people willing to replace them. Blake emphasized that both members are still actively involved in MGC.

She said she is “very optimistic” about her new role as MGC president.

“My first goal is to focus on unity,” she said, referring to the unity between the three minority segments that make up MGC.

Blake also said she would like to focus on building stronger ties between MGC and the Panhellenic Council and the Interfraternity Council.

She said she ultimately hopes to hold events with these mainstream Greek organizations and, at the very least, would like to see these organizations supporting each other’s endeavors.

Because the special elections caused a late start for MGC, Blake said as president she hopes to set concrete but realistic goals.

“Right now I’d like to focus on quality, not quantity,” she said. “One or two quality events are better than a lot of less successful events.”

Kim said he is looking forward to his role as vice president, particularly from the standpoint of someone representing an Asian-interest fraternity.

“In the past, Asians in MGC were in the periphery,” Kim said, but added that he thinks the culture of MGC will change as more students from Asian-interest fraternities get involved in the executive board.

“We will just have to wait to see the aftermath of these changes,” he said.