The injectable H1N1 vaccine will be available for priority students at a special clinic set up by the Student Health Service on the first three Fridays in November.

SHS encourages vaccination for students who are under the age of 24, who are performing clinical healthcare rotations, who have compromised immune systems or who are pregnant or live with children less than six months old, according to Matthew Waller, director of communications and external affairs for the Office of the Vice Provost for University Life.

Waller expected supplies to be limited, and encouraged students who wished to receive the vaccine to arrive early.

SHS reported 160 cases of influenza-like illness suspected to be type H1N1 on campus for the week of Oct. 10-17.

The new cases make Penn’s weekly infection rate 79.3 cases per 10,000 students per week. This number is more than twice the Pennsylvania college average of 30.8 per 10,000 students and nearly four times the national college average of 20.9 cases per 10,000 students for the week of Oct. 10-16, as reported by the American College Health Association.

Penn’s weekly infection rate has steadily risen since the beginning of the fall semester. National rates have varied, but risen slightly in recent weeks.

SHS is currently reserving seasonal flu vaccinations for those who are at risk for complications from the flu, Waller said. SHS expects to receive more seasonal flu vaccine soon.

Ill students can have a friend pick up a breakfast, lunch and dinner pack for them at any campus dining location, Waller said.

SHS will distribute H1N1 vaccine from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. Nov. 6, 13 and 20 in the Arts, Recreation and Culture House. Because the H1N1 vaccine is injectable, students are asked to wear clothing with easy access to the upper arm and to bring their PennCards.