10042009_rowena5krun014
Rowena 5K Run Credit: Michelle Bigony

Sunday morning, more runners than usual were out on Locust Walk — and they were running for a good cause.

Yesterday afternoon, the Penn Panhellenic Council held its tenth-annual Rena Rowan 5K Ribbon Run to benefit the Rena Rowan Breast Center.

The 5K run began at noon at The Compass on Locust Walk. The event was kicked off with a speech by the event’s namesake — Rena Rowan — and featured raffle prizes donated by local businesses such as Allegro Pizza, Lee’s Hoagie House and Philadelphia Runner.

There was also a live DJ playing music intended to “pump the runners up,” according to event organizer and College senior Alexandra Delfiner.

The annual event raises money for the Rena Rowan Breast Center at the Abramson Cancer Center of the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.

According to the center’s website, the sororities have chosen to support breast cancer research because “it is a disease that has touched the lives of all Penn sorority women in some shape or form.”

Since it was started in 2000, the event has raised over $55,000. Delfiner said that although donations were still coming in, Panhel had already collected over $4,000 from yesterday’s event.

According to Delfiner, this year’s event had the biggest turnout in the run’s history with approximately 140 runners.

“We were really surprised and excited about the great turnout,” said Delfiner, who added that Panhel had only expected 60 to 70 runners as of last week.

She attributed the large turnout to the Penn Greek community’s commitment to the cause.

“There was a lot of male participation by many of Penn’s Interfraternity Council fraternities and participation by Multicultural Greek Council organizations,” she said.

Event participant, Chi Omega sorority member and Wharton sophomore Allison Norman said she participated in the event because she felt it was a great way to be involved in the Greek community.

“I really like to run so it’s nice to be able to run for a good cause,” she said. “The run seemed successful — it was a gorgeous day and everyone was really enthusiastic.

Norman added that she will probably participate again next year.

Her sentiments were shared by Delfiner.

“The run was a huge success,” she said. “We had a great turnout, it was a beautiful day and we could not have hoped for anything better.”